Mar 13, 2019 Job Number
19000PAI Job Category
Information Technology Location
Marriott International HQ, Bethesda, Maryland VIEW ON MAP Brand
No Position Type
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the worlds largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Marriott International, Inc., a leadinglodging company with more than 6,000 properties in 122 countries andterritories, is looking for a Sr. Systems Engineer to join its IT Deliveryteam. The candidatewill be immersed in the elements of cloud development, design, integration,operation, and support of infrastructure services. S/he will work withoperational, application and engineering experts to develop, implement andmaintain services, monitoring, reporting, P-V migrations and new automationfunctionalities for comprehensive solutions that meet and/or exceed Marriottsapplication requirements. S/he will provide operational support and requestfulfillment associated with Marriotts Cloud Red. Primary functions include troubleshootingcloud-related issues, completion of requests, lifecycle management, capacity,health and performance management, continuous service improvement, business andtechnical analyses, reporting and project management. S/he will supportMarriotts cloud in a hybrid operating system environment and work efficientlywith our technology providers as well as other engineering, application, andoperations teams.
- Undergraduate degree in an engineering or computer science discipline and/or equivalent experience/certification
- 8 years experience in an enterprise systemsoperational role
- Technical skills in one or more of thefollowing:
- Experience in the design, implementation oroperational support of mission critical solutions in large scale environmentsand organizations
- Experience working in public cloud offerings (Examples: AWS and Azure)
- Experience with virtualization tools (Example: vRealize Operations (vRops) and Turbonomics (VMTurbo))
- Experience with VMware Integrated OpenStack / NSX
- Experience in a Cloud Management Platform such as ServiceNow, vRealize Automation, or Red Hat CloudForms
- Experience in project management
- Familiar with IT automation engines that automates cloud provisioning, configuration management, application deployment, intra-service orchestration and other IT needs.
- Familiar with Docker Containers, Container Orchestration, and Modern Application PaaS (OpenShift Enterprise) solutions for application build and runtime management
- One or more Cloud Certifications: CompTIA Cloud , EMC Cloud Architect, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate/ Professional, VMWare VCP6: Cloud, Microsoft 70-533: Implementing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions, Google Cloud: Cloud Architect Professional
- Familiar with RDBMS and/or NoSQL database technologies
- Strong knowledge of emerging tools, software, applications, and systems for attaining best-in-class IT technology across the enterprise
- Demonstrated experience delivering technology solutions in a fast-paced, deadline driven enterprise environment
- Demonstrated experience learning and applying new technologies to solve business needs
- Excellent understanding of change management, testing requirements, techniques, and tools to ensure high availability of systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences including executives, business stakeholders and IT teams
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to operate effectively across multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to perform independently as a member of a team and through cross functional initiatives
- Provides technical leadership, oversight, governance anddirection for services related to Marriott solution delivery
- Provides technical expertise to project team forsuccessful project and change implementations
- Determines customer requirements and works with sourced resources todevelop solutions to meet them
- Leads analysis of current environment for deficiencies and provides solutions
- Provides input into lifecycle, improvement,and standardization strategies
- Develops and generates periodic utilizationreports to provide visibility to performance, capacity, availability and SLAmanagement
- Utilize capacity data to model future stateplanning with overall strategy and goals
- Provides and presents status, analysis andreporting to internal stakeholders, Executive Management and Senior Leadership
- Drive the objectives associated with ProblemManagement; such as customer communication and Root Cause Analysis reports
- Trains and/or mentors other team members, andpeers as appropriate
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the service delivery, operations and continual service improvement processes
- Identifies best in class software and hardware products to meet the needs of a world class development team
- Develop implementation plans, test plans, and timelines for projects and tasks
- Provides oversight, management and maintenance of technology products and service alternatives that improve Marriotts cloud environment
- Works in a concerted effort with operational, application development and engineering teams to resolve complex issues
- Works closely with department leadership and service providers to support alignment of plans with solution delivery
- Create and enhance administrative, operational and technical policies and procedures, adopting best practice guidelines, standards and procedures for employees, contractors and vendor engagements
- Develops internal SOPs, processes and training to ensure Infrastructure team members have the needed skills, and tools to support the production environments and deliver on project commitments
- Develops and maintains Runbooks and Knowledge Base articles and offers guidance and training to Operations Center personnel
- Management of daily infrastructure operations to ensure availability SLA is met for cloud services
- Provides input intoinfrastructure lifecycle, improvement and standardization strategies
- Quantitative and qualitative analyses for operational availability to promote a zero-defect environment
- Leads/assists operational teams in infrastructure system updates & upgrades
- Provides on-going maintenance including updates and patches to Marriotts cloud infrastructure
- Providesconsultation for routine and complex systems development
- Responsible for the establishment and continuous development of monitoring and alerting for all production environments
- Ensures early warning to the business stakeholder executives regarding degraded or missed service levels
- Coordinates with project managers and application engineers for deployment and production support activities
- Facilitates achievement of expected deliverables and obligations of Services Providers
- Ensures proper coordination with appropriateIT and vendor relations teams
- Manages Service Providers with a focus on continuousservice improvement and service evolution
- Monitors, manages and leads Service Provideroutcomes required to ensure operational availability and a zero-defectproduction environment
- Consults with internal Service Management& external Service Providers on performance, business reporting, analytics metricsand business value dashboards
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
- Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building a SuccessfulTeam - Usesan effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires andsustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission andimportance to the organization.
- StrategyExecution Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed tomaximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share througheffective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving forResults - Sets highstandards of performance for self-and/or others; assumes responsibility forwork objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self-and/oothers toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goesbeyond what is required.
- CustomerRelationships - Develops andsustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needsand actions consistent with the companys service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supportsemployees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/orcultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement andenhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity tocontribute to their full potential.
- StrategicPartnerships - Developscollaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners bymaking them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnershipopportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences andleverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders(e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieveobjectives; maintains effective external relations with government, businessand industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison betweenlocations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are receivedand corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Developing Others - Supports the development of others skillsand capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/roleresponsibilities more effectively.
- OrganizationalCapability - Evaluates andadapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needsand/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- ContinuousLearning - Actively identifies new areas for learning;regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newlygained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen - Understandingand utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional areato conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovativesolutions to approach function-specific work challenges
- Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology toenhance business process
- Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC frameworkand the application tiers within the development space.
- Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerationsrelevant within the development space, including industry best practicesrelated to information security
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Associated topics: adventure, after school, aquatics, camp counselor, coordinator, counselor, day camp, residential, student, teen