HIAS seeks a General Counsel to lead strategic and tactical legal initiatives and manage organizational risk for the global refugee protection organization. S/he provides senior management with counsel and strategic advice on the implementation of legal initiatives; manages the legal and risk staff and functions; and oversees the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel and his/her team provides guidance on all legal compliance matters for International Programs and US Programs funded by federal, state and private donors. The General Counsel is directly involved in all legal matters, complex business transactions, negotiating critical contracts, and risk management.
* Serves as the internal legal counsel on organizational matters and ensure that policies and practices comply with federal, state, local and international labor laws.
* Serves as legal advisor on operational and business transactions and manages the impact of external factors on these matters; judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf HIAS and works with the CEO and senior leadership team to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
* Identifies issues requiring specialized external counsel; oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
* Identifies active and potential legal issues and suggests alternatives that lead to best solution.
* Participates in defining and developing corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides counsel and guidance on legal matters.
* Ensures HIAS programs are following legal compliance in international country offices and domestic offices; ensures HIAS is able to deliver programming within the appropriate legal framework.
* Assists Finance, IT and HR and Administration in solidifying internal controls infrastructure for efficient use of its resources.
* Advises the human resources function regarding employment legal issues in the US and in global offices.
* Provides counsel to the development team on donor bequests made to HIAS.
* Advise HIAS on legal aspects of organizational set-up, including assessing and advising on current and future organizational structures and legal entities as well as interpretation and updating of HIAS affiliate agreements.
Qualifications and Requirements:
* A Juris Doctor degree and Maryland Bar membership; New York Bar membership a plus.
* Exposure to and/or familiarity with the areas of law relevant to general non-profit governance and management and to refugee/immigration/asylum practice.
* Previous experience working in or with an NGO or international organization. International legal experience strongly preferred.
* Experience with cost effective management of outside legal resources is preferred.
* Experience working on matters of organizational governance and with a board of directors is preferred.
* A high-degree of professional ethics and excellent judgment.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Proven interpersonal, listening, oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, both domestically and internationally, including outside attorneys, senior managers, board members, and staff, including the ability to communicate complex legal matters to non-legal stakeholders.
* Demonstrated ability to direct legal strategy and manage litigation cases.
* Strong management skills.
* Team-oriented work style and self-starter attitude.
* Business Acumen
* Ethical Practice
* Relationship Management
* Leadership & Navigation
* Global & Cultural Awareness
* Critical Evaluation
* Problem Solving and Analysis
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task